Saturday 7 May 2011

Sunny Saturday.

 

Saturday was a beautiful day at my house. It was gorgeously sunny in that it's-not-really-summer-any-more-but-what-the-heck kind of way. On Friday night I had indulged in a toasted cheese sandwich film festival for one, which had kept me up late, so it was a bit of a slow start on Saturday. After noodling around for a while I decided what I really wanted to do was hang out in the sun and paint. I also decided that, whilst I understand the necessity for quality equipment, it is perfectly okay for me to experiment with cheap paints whilst I get the hang of things. I mean really, I cannot imagine that any of the first fifty or so paintings I turn out will be even vague contenders for public viewing so who cares if they eventually crack and yellow? They will be locked in the basement like all good experimental creations. And then if they're really lucky, they may one day be painted over and given another moment in the sun. But they will probably just moulder away down there in a funk of dissatisfaction and lost potential, plotting and scheming to overthrow the heartless wench who consigned them to such an undignified fate.

So I went to the shops and bought an armload of cheap paint. And then I set up a little factory on my back deck and got right down to it. I went ferreting around in the shed and came up with a bunch of board and ply that I prepped and can now paint onto and that was super satisfying. Then I actually made a painting. And it turned out really bad. And no, I will not be showing you a photo of it. But, despite the clear and present badness, it was still really fun. And I don't even care that it is bad. Because I already learned some things from it. And it was sunny and I was happy and it made me feel peaceful and focused and like some really friendly bumblebees had landed in my brain and were making a contented buzzing background noise that lasted all day.

And by the way, speaking of toasted cheese sandwiches (way back in paragraph one), has everyone seen the ultimate toasted cheese sandwich blog which is written by a very committed toastie lover? Check it out, it is such good fun and filled with cheesy, meltedy amazingness.

1 comment:

  1. I love the image of friendly bumblebees in the brain!

    ReplyDelete