Saturday 16 April 2011

Double dessert.

I think dessert is innately creative. In this house there is a strong dessert urge in both myself and my (nearly) 13 year old son Seth. In my husband Tex, not so much. For as long as he has been able to hold a wooden spoon, Seth has seen dessert as a creative playground in which he can frolic about ankle deep in ingredients, unencumbered by a recipe, and turn out messy piles of inspired creamy, goopy, chocolatey goodness. I clearly remember, against the backdrop of our hilariously crappy kitchen, Seth turning out a batch of anzac biscuits infused with fresh strawberries. And I clearly remember his face when he had the idea of chopping up the strawberries and putting them through the anzac biscuit mixture. It was inspired. It was filled with glee. It was a genuinely creative moment. I think he was about five.

These days he's more of a recipe guy, and I'm more of a 'don't make so much mess' kind of mum. Boring. I think this calls for a new rule. Once a week, in the kitchen, aprons at twenty paces for me and Seth and bugger the mess. Bring on the joyous dessert creation.

No comments:

Post a Comment