Saturday 23 April 2011

Poetry alert.

I have been trying to come up with the goods in the poetry department: I had set a goal of one every two weeks. This is actually quite achievable, however the standard of the poems may become questionable. Although, of course, the standard may well have been questionable in the first place, so maybe it won't make any discernible difference. It is pretty hard for me to feel like something is finished enough to put up in public after only two weeks work on it. Usually I circle around poems for pretty lengthy periods, coming back to them again and again to fiddle and change and shift. Truthfully, this can sometimes go on for years.

So today I am posting what is possibly my first ever poem written in one day. I woke up with the seed of it in my brain yesterday, scrawled some notes through the haze of my post Good Friday champagne brain, and then spent three short bursts working on it today. In between I went to the markets, where I scored a double album of Ella Fitzgerald singing Irving Berlin, and bought a fabulous leek & mushroom quiche so I don't have to cook tonight. Oh, and Tex bought some home made tomato relish from the nice old lady who likes to have a chat about the weather. So this poem is a little bit of an experiment, based on the premise that maybe too much fiddling can prevent something from coming to fruition. And these days I'm all about the fruition.

No comments:

Post a Comment